Tuesday, May 6, 2014

My Vikings Draft Prediction

I've tossed around so many different ideas for what the Vikings may do this Thursday (only two more days!), I thought I might as well make a single projection, including trades, for each of their picks. I'm fully expecting to be wrong, but here goes nothing.

With the 8th overall pick in the draft, the Vikings select: Blake Bortles, QB UCF.
Not the scenerio I'd like, but I think this is who it's going to be. I would very much like to trade down, but I doubt anybody is going to be willing to trade up to 8 after all the blue-chip players are gone. And if we're going quarterback here, and he doesn't have to start right away, I would agree with the Bortles decision.
from: goodgamebro.com
With the 40th pick in the draft, the Vikings select: Kyle Van Noy, OLB BYU.
Yes, this might be a stretch, but I think it is very possible. At the end of the college season, Van Noy was toted as a 3-4 outside linebacker. But over the past month, analysts have taken a closer look at him and come to the conclusion that he fits better in a 4-3. I would be ecstatic with this pick. He's easily a plug-in starter opposite Greenway.
from: philly.com
With the 72nd pick in the draft, the Vikings select: Pierre Desir, CB Lindenwood.
This one could be a corner or a guard. I was tempted to put T/G Billy Turner here, but I think the Vikings are more comfortable with their offensive line than they are with their secondary. Stanley Jean-Baptiste could be another nice selection here, but I really think he will be gone.
from: msn.foxsports.com
With the 96th pick in the draft, the Vikings select: Ed Reynolds, S Stanford.
I have done no research on him, but I really think the Vikings are going to have a great opportunity to fill each of their needs in the top rounds of the draft. Ed Reynolds, 6'1" and 207 lbs, would be a good addition beside Harrison Smith.
from: m.dailyprogress.com
With the 108th pick in the draft, the Viking select: Shayne Skov, ILB Stanford.
Skov may not be able to beat Audie Cole out of the MLB spot immediately, but if Cole doesn't step up, Skov could be starting by the end of the year.
from: gostanford.com
With the 148th pick in the draft, the Vikings select: De'Anthony Thomas, OW Oregon.
It's time to pull the trigger on Thomas. Wait any longer, and he will be gone. It's possible he may even be gone before this, but I think there's a good chance he'll last this long.
from: chiefs360.com
With the 184th pick in the draft, the Vikings select: Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, G McGill (Canada).
They need another offensive lineman. Duvernay-Tardif could play tackle or guard. We need backups at both position, and he may be able to compete with Charlie Johnson or Jeff Baca for a starting spot.
from: ici.radio-canada.ca
With the 223rd pick in the draft, the Vikings select: Isaiah Johnson, S Georgia Tech.
I honestly have no idea at this point in the draft, but of all the positions I could see them double dipping at, I think safety would be the smartest one to do so.
from: zimbio.com
The latter rounds were really tough. It obviously depends on how things go in front, and whether or not the Vikings get any trade offers. I really don't think they will be able to trade the 8th pick. Anyway, since it's easier, below is how I would like the Vikings draft to go:

With the 8th overall pick in the draft, the Vikings select: trade down with the Ravens, getting the 17th overall pick and the Ravens' 2015 second round and 2015 third round pick. Why would I want future picks? Yeah, I kind of love Marcus Mariota, and these picks would give us more ammunition to trade up for him.

With the 17th overall pick in the draft, the Vikings select: C.J. Mosley, ILB Alabama. 
Yeah, definite upgrade and would be a three down player for years to come.
from: bamahammer.com
With the 40th pick in the draft, the Vikings select: Kyle Van Noy, OLB BYU.
Yes, my pick stays the same, even after picking Mosley with the first. With Van Noy, Mosley, and Greenway as our starting linebackers we would turn what may have been the weakest unit on defense into the strongest unit with two picks.

With the 72nd pick in the draft, the Vikings select: Pierre Desir, CB Lindenwood.
This one doesn't change either. Desir may not be able to beat out Munnerlyn for the starting spot beside Xavier Rhodes this year, but he'd be able to contribute a ton. 

With the 96th pick in the draft, the Vikings select: AJ McCarron, QB Alabama.
He won't be starting right away. He'll sit behind Cassel for at least one year, if not two (unless we get Mariota, which I would love). It'd be nice to have a quarterback from a winning program for a change.
from: sportsillustrated.cnn.com
With the 108th pick in the draft, the Vikings select: Billy Turner, T/G N Dakota State.
I think he could possibly start at left guard. If not, he would be a great backup at either guard spot and either tackle spot.
from: bleacherreport.com
With the 148th pick in the draft, the Vikings select: De'Anthony Thomas, OW Oregon.
Same thing here. I love Oregon players, and Thomas would fit the type of scheme Norv Turner has run in the past. Thomas won't help in pass blocking, but he'll be great on screens and even motioning out of the backfield before the snap.

With the 184th pick in the draft, the Vikings select: Logan Thomas, QB Virginia Tech.
This is a luxury pick. I would only want this pick if Thomas was willing to switch to tight end. If that were the case, we should only run two tight end sets, where Rudolph or Thomas could be stretched out wide in a slot position and the other in tight. Just imagine: Patterson spread out wide with Rudolph on the same side in tight with the line, then Jennings on the opposite side with Thomas lined up in the slot. Oh, and AP in the backfield. Hmm, awesome? Ya, duh. 
from: sportsillustrated.cnn.com
With the 223rd pick in the draft, the Vikings select: Isaiah Johnson, S Georgia Tech.
   I like this pick as well. We need help at safety, and Isaiah Johnson would be a good pick this late in the draft. 

I doubt this scenario will happen. Like I mentioned above, I don't think the Vikings will be able to trade down from 8. That means they will likely select a quarterback. I actually seem to be leaning back towards Bridgewater, but that just means I would be ok with Bridgwater or Bortles (though please, please, Spielman, not Manziel). I also doubt Logan Thomas is even on the Vikings draft board. They don't need a quarterback that will take that much developing, and it would be big news if Thomas was willing to switch positions. 

But, oh, if this is how the draft turns out? Our front four should be much better with Linval Joseph and as long as Everson Griffin's production takes the leap it should when moving from a backup role to starting. We'd have Greenway, Mosley, and Van Noy at the linebacker position. Greenway could even step off the field in nickel formations as Van Noy and Mosley are good in coverage. Then we'd have Rhodes, Desir, and Munnerlyn, plus Harrison Smith and Isaiah Johnson if he shows a surprising spark. That seems like a defense built to succeed for a long time. I think I gushed enough about the offense in my brief synopsis of the Logan Thomas selection, so I'll hold off on that. Less than two days now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment