Saturday, April 25, 2015

Thoughts on NFL.com 7 Round Mock Draft

Nfl.com just put out a 7 round mock draft. Of course I have thoughts. You want to hear them? No? Then stop reading. Otherwise here they come.

I want to put a disclaimer first. I'm very familiar with a lot of prospects, but I get into unfamiliar territory with most of the players from the end of the 3rd on. So when I say the Vikings should take this player over the one that was mocked, I may be doing that because I know more about the one I want. But hopefully I can at least provide some arguments supporting my pick.

Here's the link for the the full mock if you'd like to see it: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000487820/article/2015-sevenround-nfl-mock-draft-round-1

Nfl.com round 1, pick 11: Brandon Scherff, OL Iowa.
If I haven't mentioned it before, I like Scherff, and not just because I graduated from Iowa. He could honestly play any position in the line, though I would keep him away from center. For the Vikings he'd slide in at left guard and we went even notice we have a rookie at that spot. His run blocking should immediately be above average and a little work in training camp will do loads for his pass blocking. He'd be a perennial Pro bowler at guard. He's also insurance at right tackle if Loadholt gets hurt, and he'd go to many pro bowls if he stayed there. He can also slide over to left tackle if Kalil struggles this year, but I predicting that won't happen. While I think Scherff will be gone before the Vikings pick, I think this is a great pick.
from: nfl.com
My preferred pick: DeVante Parker, WR Louisville.
In nfl.com's mock, the Browns take Parker at 12. If Scherff is available, I would be happy with him or Parker. If it's Parker though, he'd fill the need for a big receiver who can consistently win one on one match ups.

NFL.com round 2, pick 45: Tevin Coleman, RB Indiana.
Here's where things crash. I don't like this pick. This draft is loaded with backs that can contribute right away, and whether we have AP back or we roll with McKinnon as our starter, I think we wait until at least the 3rd to look at a running back. With players like Byron Jones, Preston Smith, Benardrick McKinney, and Carl Davis still on the board, we shouldn't be looking at running back.
from: thefanindiana.com
My preferred pick: Shaq Thompson, defensive weapon, Washington.
Take a look at my draft profile on Thompson for my thoughts on the position he should play. In nfl.com's mock, he's gone by the time the Vikings pick. We shouldn't let that happen. I'd try to trade up a few spots to guarantee we get him.

Nfl.com round 3, pick 76: PJ Williams, CB Florida State.
I think I'm ok with this pick. I don't know much about Williams, but I've heard good things. He plays predominantly on the outside, which is the type of defensive back we need.
from: wftv.com
My preferred pick: Michael Bennett, DL Ohio State. 
PJ Williams would be a great pick, but Bennett's upside is too good to pass up. Granted, he'd be best at the 3 technique, and we're stacked there with Shariff Floyd and Tom Johnson. But Zimmer has expressed a desire to have a deep pool of defensive linemen. Bennett is athletic enough to play run stuffing end on the left side during run plays and to provide backup reps on the interior and start alongside Floyd at tackle during passing situations. Might be a luxury pick, but I believe his upside would be hard to pass up.

Nfl.com round 4, pick 110: Gabe Wright, DT Auburn.
This is a good pick if we don't take a defensive lineman earlier. NFL.com lists him as a decent penetrating tackle that could use some work on his pass rush moves. He'd be a project at this point of the draft. 
from: oanow.com
My preferred pick: at this point I have a few options. In the nfl.com draft, OT Tyrus Thompson goes the very next pick. He's a monster on the line at 6'5 and 325. Running backs David Johnson from UNI and David Cobb from Minnesota are still available as well. Even if we keep AP, I wouldn't mind taking one of these backs.

Nfl.com round 5, pick 137: Jamison Crowder, WR Duke.
At this point in the draft, he'd be a good value pick. He's a bit smaller and good in the open field, meaning his skillset is similar to the receivers we currently have, but the pro comparison video on nfl.com compared him to Antonio Brown. If Crowder becomes half the player Brown is then he is well worth a fifth round pick.
from: nfl.com
My preferred pick: how about a guard here? Josue Matias from Florida State or Arie Kouandjio from Alabama would be nice. They could compete with David Yankey and possibly Joe Berger for the left guard spot.

Nfl.com round 7, pick 228: Dres Anderson, WR Utah.
At 6'1 and 187, he's got good height but is a bit small. Based on his draft profile, he plays bigger than his height, isn't afraid to go over the middle, but struggles with press man coverage. We've got receivers like that already, so I'd prefer to pass on him. And two late round receivers seems a little much when we already have five receivers that will make the roster. Late round picks are for developmental players, though, so I won't be upset by who we take here.
from: deseretnews.com
My preferred pick: like I mentioned above, I'm pretty much good with whoever we take at this point.

Nfl.com round 7, pick 232: John Timu, ILB Washington.
At 6'1 and 246, he's a bit undersized for the run-stuffing middle linebacker that I think Zimmer would like, but he's good in zone coverage and gets off blocks well. He doesn't change direction well though, according to nfl.com, so if he misses the correct read, he'll have issues chasing his assignment. At this point in the draft though, bringing him in with his former teammate Shaq Thompson would immediately upgrade our pass coverage from the linebacker core. 
from: usatoday.com
My preferred pick: like I mentioned, getting this far down I don't feel comfortable standing behind any picks. However, in looking at the list of notable free agents left, I see Zack Hodges, the OLB from Harvard. He's more of a pass rushing linebacker at 250 pounds, but he could backup Barr and we'd have a player in a similar mold. I really think Hodges will be drafted though, definitely in the 7th if not in the 6th. 

Let me know what you think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment